PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2009, 11:55
Paul2412

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly, as this is my first post let me point out that I am NOT an airline pilot (although I wish I was). I do have a great interest in aviation but my experience is limited to Microsoft Flight Simulator...

I have a couple of questions:

1. If Airbus knew that the pitot-static tubes could become unreliable in a storm at high altitude (presumably, when you need them most) why did they not make the changes mandatory immediately? Thinking about the Aero Peru flight, although it was due to human error the consequences were disastrous. Even worse, if Air France knew about this why didn't they immediately replace the system? Do airlines like to gamble with passengers lives to save a little time and money? If it's proved that the pitot-static system was to blame, I can see very tough questions ahead for both Airbus and Air France.

2. I'm in IT myself, and find it increasingly hard to believe that a system that transmits data from the FDR back to the airlines HQ in real time or near real time cannot be developed. If the plane can send out warnings, why cant the critical data be sent to the ground? If this was in place, locating a tiny box in the middle of the second largest ocean in the world wouldn't be necessary.

I apologise if my lack of knowledge of real world flying has led to a ridiculous post, but I'm following this story very carefully and answers to my 2 points would be very gratefully received.

Regards,

Paul