PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flipping runways in thunderstorm conditions at LHR
Old 12th Jun 2009, 10:25
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HD,

You are correct. In fact the pilot spoken of earlier who made several requests to avoid weather and then flew through that "weather" just leaves the ATCO sitting there saying "see I knew that he did not need to avoid anything".

You are totally correct - 1 goes left, one goes right and one up the middle. Part of the reson is that the CBs move but another more important thing is that weather radar need to be used correctly and even when used correctly requires quite a lot of interpretation.

I don't buy the pilots are responsible for one aircraft while the controllers are responsible for several. The pilot's actions have to ensure the safety of their aircraft - which by association requires the pilot not to endanger other aircraft. My visually flying across the trail of another aircraft 1nm behind and 100ft above is not dangerous. Don't forget that the first objective of ATC is to prevent collisions between aircraft in the air and not to maintain X distance between flights. The X distance is simply a tool to achieve that objective.

I always remember that separation standards are minima and shall be increased when requested by the pilot or considdered necessary by the ATCO.

Putting two aircraft parallel with minimum separation in weather avoiding situations can result in the controller having to explain on the MOR / Airporx report why they thought it was safe to apply the minima in that situation.

-----------

Originally Posted by anotherthing
I will MOR a pilot

I will file and I will be in the right

I am correct

Regards,

DFC