PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IberWorld engine fire/emergency landing (birdstrike??), Grand Canaria
Old 12th Jun 2009, 09:13
justme69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my humble (non-expert) opinion: yes.

There seems to be a "problem" that makes things in case of some malfunctions harder than necessary. Be it an APU failure during engine start while taxiing that leaves the whole airplane in absolute darkness or a (relatively minor) engine malfunction that produces spectacular flames or noises, the problem is this:

Most PAX don't know what's going on and most pilots are too busy dealing with the consecuences to properly address them.

This complicates things. Some PAX may demand to exit the (in their mind, broken and unsafe) plane, further delaying the flight etc.

I think in these cases, airliners should have a list of "replies" to give out by Flight Attendants that pilots should order them to read over PA (i.e. pilots to FA's: read out malfunction announcement 2B).

These announcements should be meant to calm people down in events of failures/turbulence/whatever that "feel" spectacularly dangerous but actually are "reasonably common" and usually fairly harmless.

Something in the terms of: "L&G, because of a malfunction on a single engine, it may be producing noises, flames or vibrations which is not unnusual in these circunstances. Please remain calm and await further messages in case the pilot decides to turn around and land .... There is no danger, etc, etc"

But if FA don't know what's going on, PAX (obviously) don't know what's going on, and pilots are too busy trying to circunvent the problem and make it on schedule ASAP to waste time on "lengthy announcements" ... well, something fails here.

5 minutes of silence while you're in fear, feeling the airplane is in true danger can be too much to handle for some people. And unnecessary, since the problem can actually be a minor one when properly explained. And pilots don't have time to deal with proper "crowd control" when they are running a failure checklist and perhaps computing an unschedule landing plan.

YouTube - HOW NOT TO START AN ENGINE