PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why Captain?
Thread: Why Captain?
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2009, 09:06
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
What a childish debate.

Whirlygig siad it best "INVERTED SNOBBERY"

A "Captain" (Aircraft Commander) is someone who has a license, forms a properly constituted member of the flight crew and has the overriding responsibility for the conduct and safety of the flight, be it a humble R22 to a big noisy S92.

For the inverted snobs, actually the paying PAX in my experience like to know who "Is the Captain" either to follow his leads, or to bollock him when he won't take them all the way (depending on the status of the PAX).

There is nothing more disheartening than a slovenly turned out crew, inappropritaley dressed and not wearing their rank so you have no idea who is the lead. Its bad for the industry, bad for the PAX and makes us all look unprofessional.

I am always impressed when I visit smaller training schools in the UK and a young R22 FI turns up immaculatley dressed, wearing the rank he has earned by virtue of his Qualifications and sending out the right message to his students, passengers and the greater public.

There is nothing "Hard" or "Trendy" about looking like a bag of sh***t.

For those individuals who like to be addressed as Captain (on letters and stuff) good luck to them. Their achievements are important to them and they have the right to enjoy them!!!

If you are sooooo... experienced and soooo. cool that you do not need these simple trinkets that are so ingrained and associated with the profession you have chosen, then please f***k off and let the rest of us keep up the ethos and reputation that so amply befits a person who routinley drags a howling bag of rivets skyward in pursuit of money, glory, joy, excitement.

DB OUT