PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blood from a stone = minimal fuel
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2009, 01:13
maybegunnadoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Darwin et al

Back in '96 Darwin suffered what the met boys called a 'mini cyclonic event'. The rain and storms were totally unforecast at that intensity and it lasted for a period of 3-4 hrs. I was luckily watching from the ground at this time and the vis in the rain was lucky to be 10ft. From memory we recieved 200+ mm in this period. The tower was washed away, airport completely cut off by Rapid creek, the aids and and lights failed, all the choppers from the rigs declared pans and ended up in Bathhurst along with a 1000 lighties. Also with SFA fuel was Big Rat, Ansett and Scarenorth and all tubine operators jamming the tarmac at Tindal. I went to Bathhurst later to rescue some chopper pax and were those pilots PISSED. Cycle forwards to 2006? and following a massive series of lightning strikes, the gates were welded shut, the lights had failed (again) and Darwin ended with no radar feed for over a year.

So whats the lesson...

Tha airport is a dual user facility and suffers because of it. Plan for some inadequacy fuel before you depart.

An old timer said to me when I first got up here "if its 30 holding carry 60, and if its 60 carry an alternate"

All the flights were caught short by the light failure but all were flown by proffesionals to make the correct decision to divert or hold.

just my 2 cents.....