PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2009, 23:39
protectthehornet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YIPOWYAN

I don't know if I would let a plane get into a spiral dive, but if my pitot was bad I would fly known attitude and power settings...and accept sloppy altitude control until things got sorted out. I would keep the wings level on the attitude gyro, confirming my wings were level by not changing heading too much.

something has happened to pilots that don't know how to get by with partial panel...

One of my first jobs as a pilot required a real NDB approach without a heading indicator or attitude indicator...using only the compass (whiskey as it was known) and turn and slip.

while jets would be really hard to fly like this, certainly knowing that you climb at full/climb power with fifteen degrees of pitch, you are level with nose up one degree and cruise power and so forth should be part of any pilot's bag of tricks.

konwing that you are making a normal approach with nose about level, gear and flaps down and power at X should be in your bag of tricks too.

I think I will renew my CFIIMEI and charge 200US$ an hour for basic instructions.