PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HERC - XV198 – Crash COLERN 1973
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2009, 21:21
Dengue_Dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know what you mean, but it wasn't miraculous so much as that was the magnitude of the forces the crew were dealing with.

A lot of procedures were changed after this accident. It was publicised that you also needed to apply 5 degrees of bank towards the live engines for the published VMCA2 to work too and the penalty was something like 5 knots per degree of bank penalty if you didn't apply the bank.

This was not really known at the time. Practice asymmetric training was effectively stopped after this in favour of simulated, which meant the throttle was placed at or about flight idle with the crew keeping the torque positive.

I don't remember, but logic would support that the captain slotted No 1 just after rotate then No 2 wound down at low IAS. The aircraft then rolled to the left and I believe it impacted upside down, poor souls.

There are no winners in these situations, but many many people learned life-saving lessons, so perhaps in this tragedy were the seeds for safe flying later.

Having been an instructor in the Canberra force too, it was a fact that practising asymmetric flying killed more crews than in the real event.

Thank God, someone listened and did something about it.