PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best & Worst Mil Aviation Film and Why
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2009, 19:03
JEM60

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the real 'Memphis Belle' documentary in my video collection. Superb.
In 1997 I attended the U.S.A.F 50th anniversary Airshow at Nellis AFB. as a spectator. Walking around at 8am in the heat, I came across some stalls being erected. Some of the veterans were wearing their uniforms, and, sitting in a corner, in the shade, was an elderly gentleman,wearing, as they all do, his name badge. He was almost alone. As I walked by, I said good morning, he replied in the same, and I walked on. After 10 steps, I pulled up short, and returned. I said to him 'Excuse me Sir, but are you THE Robert Morgan?' to which he enquired as to what I meant by 'the'. I said 'Memphis Belle Robert Morgan', and to cut a long story short, it was indeed the man I had seen many times on my video. Several minutes of conversation ensued, his wife [2nd one I believe] then wrote me out an invitation to his secret 80th Birthday party at the Eagle in Cambridge. I did not attend, as I felt I had no place in such elite company!. I did not realise that he was also the leader of the first B.29 Raid on Tokyo. He signed a photograph of himself for me, and I was given his business card with the birthday invite from his wife. On returning home, I placed these two much treasured possessions in a large envelope, have since moved house twice, and cannot now find hide nor hair of them, much to my regret. He died a couple of years ago, but the memory of our conversations will always be one of my fondest Aviation memories.