PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2009, 18:57
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety Concerns;
Therefore the time of transmission is irrelevant as the faults are time stamped in real time and sent in real time. If there are any communications issues the time stamp remains time when fault occured.
Determining time stamps is the key as we know. I was going on the statement from the AMM concerning the FIDS:
Fault Detection at each AFS BITE

(1) Data descrtipion

a) Triggering event
A triggering event detected by the BITE function of a computer corresponds to a change in state of a functional variable of the application software of this computer.
This event triggers a fault isolation and memorization process. In order to avoid unwanted triggering of this process, the change in state of the examioned variables is only taken into account after a certain confirmation time dependant on the variable in question.
Thus, I think suspending judgement that the ACARS is the map of events as they unfolded. I think it is risky to assume otherwise until either case is examined and determined.

As can be seen, there is much more to this process in the AMM than can, or should be re-presented here. If the messages are time-stamped at the time the failure first occurs and the ACARS messages are indeed a sequential map of failure, that will obviously assist greatly in mapping downstream effects of the various failures, which of course is the attraction. My intent is to merely esablish this mapping, either affirming or refuting the view expressed, (as I'm sure you know). Many thanks for continuing the collegial discusssion in this vein.

Last edited by PJ2; 11th Jun 2009 at 19:35.