PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA and Project Columbus III
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2009, 18:37
wobble2plank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just read the [Edit]A-Scale NSP Sub Group [Edit ended] missive put around after their Monday meeting! Contains some great lines, and a few shocking ones.

I think this one is excellent and seems to set the tone of the meeting:

The following Q&A is for the benefit of all those brave women and men of our community who could not be at the meeting. Management refused to release staff in company time but we subsequently heard time was found for management forums.
Oddly enough, management meetings can be considered part of the working day however meetings for a voluntary participation union group can, honestly, be considered different and outside of the working day.

To those who cannot understand why changes must be permanent. Please, please, please see past the fortress walls of the BASSA rhetoric and look at BA as a whole company. That company desperately needs investors. The major investors provide much of the liquidity that the company needs to continue trading in this current environment. Add to that that investors will want a dividend in the future as a return on their investments and you see the requirement to provide a robust business.

That 'robustness' has been severely tested over the past 15-20 years with every season kicking off with some sort of industrial dispute from one or another department. That is what needs to change. The myriad of rules, clauses, sub clauses and galley FM beliefs need to change. Managers needing to 'clarify' with BASSA if this or that schedule is 'OK'? Gotta go. Get rid of 'industrial' limits and all work to the same scheme.

Until this transparency of working condition is achieved across the board there will be an awful lot of reticence to invest in BA as the company currently stands. Until ALL unionised groups have the ability to engage in meaningful, constructive and adult discussions of disputes then investment will be shortcoming. This is why PERMANENT change is needed. It is not just to spite the workforce but to ensure that the company remains an attractive investment opportunity within the stock market. Lose that and the company will be ruined.

No I am not management, all I want to see is continued employment within the company I enjoy working for.

Last edited by wobble2plank; 11th Jun 2009 at 18:57.