PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best & Worst Mil Aviation Film and Why
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2009, 18:22
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You mean there were aeroplanes in 'The Bridges of Toko-ri'? All I remember is Grace Kelly in that bath tub.

One real war movie that I thought was particularly well done was the real 'Memphis Belle'. Not the movie, but the TV special made (I think) around the late seventies/early eighties which spliced the original documentary footage of the Memphis Belle's 25th mission, with interviews with the still living crewmembers 25 or 30 years after the event. (Unlike in the movie, it returned in one pretty well undamaged piece, with its crew the first 8th Air Force USAAF B17 crew to complete a full operational tour, and the movie crew accommpanied them on the mission.),

What was particularly impressive about the movie was the way the captain, slightly older (but not by much) than his very young crew, ran his aircraft. It was like watching a really good crew doing a really good job in in a full-on, no holds barred sim. session.

It was obvious from comments the rest of the crew made 30 years later that the captain wasn't particularly popular with his crew, but they certainly respected him. The way he insisted on strict intercom discipline, no shouting, no excitement, just call the incoming fighters in with calm, measured calls, virtually handing it on to the next gunner, was impressive - and absolutely nothing like the typical overexcited Hollywood version of such events.