PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2009, 16:16
The Chaser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Config Full Re: AF908 CDG-TNR, captain PF report

I have made a very rough translation of the report using http://www.systran.co.uk/

I have only a very basic knowledge of the language (apologies in advance) and its intended intonations and nuances, so have kept the grammar amendments to a minimum to avoid the possibility of unintentionally mistranslating the proper intent of comments contained with the report. You might have to knock any mis-trans or rough edges off.

F-GNIH AF908 CDG - TNR -

STALL ALARMS AND LOSS OF THE SPEED INDICATIONS ON THE PFD

CDB PF in left seat and OPL L. xxxx PNF in right seat, OPL R. xxxx in rest

To FL 370 with a SAT with -51°C and a wind of the 080 per approximately 18Kts on AWY UB612 with OFFSET 1R, between points OBD and MLK in radio operator contact with KHARTOUM, as we were in limit of vapor cloud with some light turbulences, I had attaché the PAX.

We were in the twilight with a weak luminosity.

Then we entered the layer, and shortly after we started by having a light smell of burning which lasted about twenty seconds and which did not seem to be of volcanic origin (not rotted egg odor) but rather of electric odor for me and of odor air conditioning for the OPL. Then this odor disappeared. This odor was confirmed in cabin by the PAX and the PNC between the rows 3 and 14 thereafter.

We had the radar weather walks from there on gauged without apparent echoes always in the layer and approximately minute after this smell of burning, we had strong turbulences. I thus have make the message Here “attached cockpit PNC sitted strong turbulences”. I reduced speed to
Mach 0.80 (a little above green dot)

A few seconds after the indication speed on PFD OPL abruptly from 280 Kts passes to 100 Kts in the red stringcourse and that to lasted of many seconds. At the same time on PFD CDB very strong variation speed with speed indicated green dot less 15Kts and a speed trend to less 50 Kts.

At the same time (it was 15h10 TU) Alarm red A/P OFF then in the alarms amber ADR DISAGREE, IAS DISCREPANCY, ALTN LAW PROT LOST, REAC W/S DET FAULT.

Followed at 15h11 of alarm RUD TRV LIM FAULT with amber.

Follow-up immediately of alarm STALL STALL STALL (without associated alarm cricket) with indication of TOGA LK. As I always had the speed trend to less 50 Kts, I flew the plane manually with setting in descent and light turn to leave the AWY on the right. The plane answering very listlessly with on PFD CDB several regressions speed in the lower red stringcourse. At the same time I asked the OPL to send a message MAYDAY. During the descent rustles of impact (hail???) heard with the cockpit.

Descent until FL 340. Correct speed plane being become again I have slovenly the ATHR to leave TOGA LK. The indication speed being similar with dimensions CDB and OPL, but with bottom of the 2 PFD on the scale speeds the red indication SPD LIM which remained until the end of the vol.
Stabilization of the plane, then application of the IAS procedure DOUBTFUL, and started at the same time of anti icing ENG and WING like passage of PACKS FLOW on HIGH (in the doubt of a cloud of dust or smoke to avoid pumping GTR as in the procedure volcanic cloud). As the indications speed and altitude were correct (with cross-check with the indications of Ground speed and GPS altitude, thus when comparing the data of wind of the OCTAVE), ré engagement of the AP1 and the ATHR.

We did not have at any time of ICE DETECTION alarm.

I awoke the second OPL which was in rest, then we treated checklist ECAM.

Descent in FL 330 then chancel of the MAYDAY and continuation of the flight on this level.

The plane having passed in ALT LAW (MAX IAS 330Kts/M.82) I preferred to have a beach of flight envelope widened and continued the flight at Mach 0.80.

On the level of the assessment: plane in ALT LAW confirmed by the status and the crosses ambers on the PFD, REAC W/S DET FAULT, ALT LAW PROT LOST, ADR DISAGREE and F/CTL RUD TRV LIM FAULT (2
NOGO).
FOR LDG USES FLAP 3.

It is important to note that the indication on the circuit page of screen SD, of the RUDDER TRAVEL TO LIMIT was amber but with mid--chases between the neutral and full clearance rudder.

Contact with the CPC to know which was the state of the cabin and the PAX. Only strong turbulence was felt by the PAX.

I called by SAT COM maintenance to make a more thorough research of the problems and continuations to their recommendations we reseté all the calculators of orders flight PRIM and SEC without any result. (at this time there we had the fuel for a return towards NCE or FCO).

On the developed checklist of F/CTL ALTN LAW (PROT LOST) one can read for APPR PROC FOR LDG USES FLAP 3. (There is no indication in the QRH on the table of correction after breakdown)

On the other hand in developed F/CTL RUD TRV LIM FAULT in APPR PROC FOR LDG USES FLAP 2, which is confirmed by the QRH in the table of correction after breakdown.

As it appeared this anomaly between the QRH which requires to be poser volets 2 and the status which requires of us to be poser volets 3 it was thus necessary new searchs and thus the decision for a call later to QB.

New call SAT COM to QB which did not find an explanation additional on the difference in steering shutter, then with the CCO to see with them for the continuation of the flight and the breakdown service of the plane, the return towards Europe not being more possible with the remaining fuel, it was posed the decision then of to continue on TNR or to divert on RUN. Decision to continue on TNR with request for my share to postpone the alarm clock of the colleagues who were to bring back the plane on minimum CDG taking into account the 05hr00 of fault finding to TNR.

We continued the flight with Pitot heat in ON position and calibration radar on MAX.

It should be noted that during all the descent in ALT LAW, the plane did not answer my request for regression speed via order SPD of the FCU (we were into OPEN DES), and I have thus to disconnect the AP to make regress speed. The piloting of the plane gave the impression of a very soft plane to me to the orders, which did not correspond to not felt piloting during takeoff and the rise. Because of difference between the QRH and the status, I thus followed it status and we were posés volets 3.

While looking in ACMS we saw the indications of Pitot 1 & 2.2 & 3 and 1 & 3 fault at 15h10TU In post flight report
15h07 BMC 3
15h10 AUTO FLIGHT AP OFF
REAC W/S DET FAULT
IAS DISCREPANCY
NAV ADR DISAGREE
15h11 F/CTL RUD TRV LIM FAULT

I have make the turn of the plane with one of the OPL and as well the radome as the pitots seemed intact.

Only the angle of attack sensor with dimensions OPL was strongly tilted almost vertical. There was no trace of impact neither of stripe on the painting of the radome, nor on avoid-break.

I made, after having joined together all crew (PNT and PNC) a débriefing to explain what we had lived and to reassure everyone and answer the questions.

For the questions of the DM

Flight in FL 370 pas de shearing of wind felt (wind of the 080/18Kts) the wind was stable since more than one half hour in force and direction.

Flight at Mach 0.80 because light turbulence (attached PAX)

No audible presence of hail at the beginning of the incidents (but we heard during the descent of the noises of impacts to the cockpit (hail???).

Temperature SAT -51°C (we never had ICE DETECTION alarm)

No stormy phenomenon (nothing with the radar weather which on was gauged and no visible flash of storm).

Beginning of strong turbulence around 15h09 followed by alarms quoted above at 15h10 and 15h11TU

The indication speed side OPL passed from 280 Kts to 100 Kts in the red stringcourse and remained many seconds like that.

Coté CDB speed indicated passed from green dot - 15 Kts with a speed trend to -50 Kts.

Alarms STALL (without alarm cricket) several series with several incursions of speed indicated into the lower red stringcourse.

Stabilization plane with the FL340 then continuation of the flight in FL 330.

Duration estimated of incidents 3 to 5 minutes.