PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - West London Airfields (Heston, Hanworth, and Hounslow)
Old 11th Jun 2009, 15:39
oldlowandslow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was about 10 years ago now that myself and a fellow wannabe aviation archeologist went scrummaging around in the trees to see if anything was left of the old aerodrome, and found a few uprights of an old metal fence, from which position we deduced (from looking at what few photos are available of the airfriend when active) could have been some sort of boundary fence. We would have investigated further, but you would be surprised at the looks we attracted - two middle-aged men in suits burrowing into bushes on Hounslow Heath one lunchtime....

Either way, i agree with the above - a visit would be a good thing. I grew up in Heston and like some of the posters above have memories of the airfield in the 60s. My mother attended Berkley School and has a lot of stories. My father worked at the maintenance depot at Hanworth in the war, where they repaired the electrics on all sorts of aircraft. His trade was gunnery systems.