PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does anyone remember my Dad? 'Vulcan Bomber'
Old 11th Jun 2009, 12:50
Turbo542

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robert Jackson's book "AVRO Vulcan". A contibuter to the book complete with pics was one late AVM Ron Dick, He told me what he supplied to Jackson was not what was published. He refers to NEAF Bomber Wing trip to New Zealand.Page 145 shows the shadow of XH562 flying over the Kingston Flier a narrow gauge railway loco outside of Queentown Sth Island.
Ron was playing cat & mouse with the flier, then finally sapped it. The flight was to show the flag over South Island.That night back at RNZAF Ohakea he recd. a cable for the driver,'Your aeroplane is beautiful but you have a fly spot on your wing. This was the begining of a friendship with the loco driver Russell Glendening. Later Ron when visiting NZ called on Russell. He said "We have never met but we have been very close", Russell replied in his NZ accent "You are that bloody Vulcan pilot".
Russell was upset when we told him Ron had passed away.
Another picture is the Crew Chief Bill Pearsey supposedly seeing the KIWI superimposed on the roundel. He was P.O. awaiting for the crew for the return leg.
I know it is 25 years since the book was published-- he was the first to do it.
Turbo542