PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Charter Airline Legroom
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2009, 11:08
10secondsurvey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AVMAN,

I couldn't agree more with what you say. It is an important safety aspect that is avoided by airlines. The actual legal minimum legroom in the UK is 26 inches, and you need to be careful with websites stating seat pitch at this point, because legroom is not seat pitch.

Seat pitch is the distance from a point on one seat, to the same point on the seat in front. So, the measurement called 'seat pitch' actually includes the thickness of the seat. So, for example if the seat pitch is 31 inches, and the seat is 2 inches thick, this would give around 29 inches of legroom. This is why most charters for short haul from the UK have a seat pitch of 28 inches (as it allows two inches for the seat thickness) ensuring the legal minimum of 26 inches of legroom remains.

But, the point you make avman is perfectly valid. If the minimum were set at say thirty one inches of legroom (around 33 pitch) then ALL airlines would have to compete on a level playing field.

As for it being impossible to run a budget airline with more legroom, that is just hogwash. In the USA, Virgin America gives 32 inches as standard (EZY by comparison just 29 inches), and JetBlue, a very successful budget carrier, gives 34 inches (more than BA longhaul economy) as standard, and by paying an extra 15 dollars, you can get one of the six front rows, which have a seat pitch of......wait for it.........a whopping 38 inches.

There are many, many examples of this around the world. It is only in Europe that pax have been 'suckered' in to believing all the airline sponsored guff about how legroom needs to be low in a budget airline.

I genuinely believe it is a safety issue, and I fully agree with what you say.

So, avman, it's not just you, there are many who think exactly the same thing.