PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dan Air Route Network
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2009, 09:47
kala87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dan Dare also had a significant base at Luton during the late 60's and early 70's, from about 1969 to 1974.

The based aircraft were 3 short-fuselage 1-11's (ex-British Eagle I think), plus one or two Comets. The Comets were later replaced by 727's. it was one of these 727's that nearly came to disaster on Rwy 26 on takeoff in 1974. The aircraft climbed away but not before sinking into the valley beyond the runway threshold and taking out some approach lights, although my memory is a bit hazy about the actual details of this event.

I believe the airline quit LTN soon after; in any case 1974-75 were terrible years for the British IT charter business following the oil price hike and Clarkson's collapse.

I had several flights in the 748's between Aberdeen and Sumburgh in the mid-70's. Those crews really knew how to handle those aircraft in frequently atrocious weather, especially landing at Sumburgh in severe gusting crosswinds.

They also flew a DC7 freighter in the late 1960's, based at Gatwick. I recall seeing it depart one day with an engine feathered after t/o, not unusual for a DC7 with those temperamental turbo-compound powerplants.

The airline also had some very sad incidents, such as the Barcelona Comet crash in 1970 and the Tenerife 727 crash in 1980. Both were CFIT accidents caused by crew disorientation when using dubious navaids and procedures.