PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wake Turbulence
Thread: Wake Turbulence
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2009, 01:49
Heli-phile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wake vortex

Gentleman may I urge all the pilots who feel less vulnerable to Wake vortex in a helicopter to revise their views and maybe operations urgently.

I operate out of a airport with a large mix of types from 152's through turbo props to Medium and heavy cat jets.

Be in no doubt that if you fly/hover taxi through the wake vortex of a medium/heavy you will know all about it. BRIEFLY!!!

Read up on the proper practices, and here are some basic principles by which I have operated amongst these machines without upset for a good number of years.

1,If crossing or passing behind a machine on departure or approach always fly OVER its flight path.

2, If following a machine on approach or Take Off always fly above its track and always UPwind of its track, a few Metres offset makes all the difference.

3, If lifting or landing after a landing or departing aircraft always lift/land well before rotation point or past touchdown point of that aircraft. again always only fly/hover upwind of the app/dep track.

Always visualise where the wind is coming from and Keep upwind in the clean air!! If you cannot insure this then wait the appropriate 1 ,2 or 3 mins, re-check your systems, advise the passengers why and before you know it its time to go. Your family, your passengers and your helicopter will really appreciate it!!

I have flown heavy jets and have been unpleasantly surprised by the impact of wake turbulence, same with Helicopters. Get this near the ground and it will kill you!!

Last edited by Heli-phile; 11th Jun 2009 at 01:57. Reason: typo's