PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Hold Pool
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2009, 01:37
forum newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to add to the debate about rj captain versus EK FO...

When i interviewed last year, i was working as an erj captain who also was a check airman. At the time of my interview, i was making approximately $100k per year and living in base. I was content with my job but emirates offered an exciting lifestyle for both my wife and kids. I was in the pool hoping to get a call for a class. I waited and waited like the other poolies just dreaming about a chance to work at emirates. Then came the delay in aircraft orders, the meltdown of the global economy, and the debacle of the dubai economy. As the weeks turned into months, i started realizing that emirates did not view me as a viable candidate for a class for the simple fact that i flew erjs even though i was the only person that was hired from my group that included boeing and airbus guys. Simply, you are qualified but not as much as others.

I was also in the pool for JetBlue. I started class at JetBlue and have not looked back. I listed pros and cons for both emirates and jetblue. I think they both are excellent jobs but it came down to a simple decision: where would i be happier? Where would i be valued as an employee? Where would i want to retire at?

Lastly, i came to a decision based on my family needs. I could always find another job, but i can not find another wife and kids. I also thought about if i was layed off or terminated for any reason, i could always get unemployment in the states and survive for the foreseable future. In Dubai, i have to find a means to pay off my debt so that i dont have to go to jail, ship my goods, and get my family out as soon as possible. I will always be able to contest my termination such that the company is bounded by legality.

During airport appreciation time, i have chased down emirate crews to get their perspectives at jfk. To my amusement, they have all advised me (with the exception of a local emirati) to not make the move to dubai if i am happy with my current job.

Surfa, if you are making decent money at your current job, then why would you want to make less at a company that continuously changes rules, does not respect you as an employee, and subjecates you to disciplinary action without objection. Everyone wants to roll the dice and gamble with their futures. At the end, i am not a gambler.

fb