PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best & Worst Mil Aviation Film and Why
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2009, 01:34
Ten West

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thread exhumation time!

B of B, Dambusters. Both excellent! Michael Redgrave as Barnes Wallis was brilliant. He even looked like him.

As a "Yoof" I loved "Firefox". although Clint Eastwood did take rather a long time to jump into the MiG after the staged fire in the hangar though. It was pretty much all extinguished before he hopped in and fired it up to move it out of harm's way!

I do remember trying my first high-speed blast on my new motorcycle a few years back though, and as the speedo needle wound gradually back down into double figures I could hear Mitchell Gant's inner monologue with "Boy! Is this a machine!"

As regards "The Sound Barrier" - if you read the excellent autobiography of Chuck Yeager (A great hero of mine, whose signed photo is framed on my wall incidentally) he relates how he attended the premiere of the film and met some VIP's afterwards.
He says he enjoyed it as a work of fiction but was dying to tell anyone who asked that if anyone really did try reversing the controls as in the film, they'd just wind up making a big, smoking hole in the floor! He kept quiet in the interests of diplomacy apparently.

My favourite of all time though? The Right Stuff. Chuck Yeager (Sam Shepard) trying for one last record in the NF-104.

YouTube - The Right Stuff Clip 15 - Chuck Yeager in the NF-104 Flight

Absolutely classic. Was that Daryl Greenmayer's one?