PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military Licencing vs Civilian Licencing
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2002, 00:33
Pitch and Break

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Never assume anything! Part 2

Military to Civvy Instructor quals - again, I stand by my comments previously 100%. Instructors coming from the services are as a general rule no better or worse than those on civvy street similar experience. For the most part, they generally do lack 'commercial sense' and need to be exposed to the rigors of flying for a 'living' which is sometimes very different than flying for a job. I totally support the concept of QFI's passing a flight test prior to gaining the civvy quals and the chap who was issued the Grade 1 automatically is a very fortunate and exceptional person indeed - I would suggest he 'knew' someone in CASA maybe(?) becuase this certainly IS NOT the norm.
I presently employ two miltary instructors on staff and have employed several in the past including in senior positions and believe you me, they are not the be-all-and-end-all and quite often seriously lack knowledge of the rules and regs, good client relations and patience. (They too are human)
They might be able to drop a 500 pounder up a ducks freckle from 20000' , at night, in formation with bullets flying around them, but that ain't going to help them a hoot out here!