PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Hold Pool
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2009, 15:54
what_goes_up

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's $86,000 a year.... for living in Dubai?
It all depends, where you come from. But you have to look at the package.
With that salary you'd probably be in the 28% tax bracket, right? So you are already on a salary of $110'000. (Don't know if you can avoid US tax though. But that is more a US than an EK problem). Health insurance is paid for and as well housing (if you happen to get a villa...). Even after the last management stunt, most of utilities (cooking gas, elec, water) are are paid as well. For us, cost of living is by far lower then back home. But then again... It all depends on where you come from.
I am on an FO salary and we as a family make a decent living from that wage. Could it be better? Sure it could!
Check what you have in hand and compare. But compare the packages and not just the bare salary stated. The $7200 are "spending money" for me.
Take the $7200 and start adding what you would spend back home for what you get here (no, it's not for free, it's part of the package!!) ($7200+$2000[tax]+.....[housing]+.....[utilities].......)

Don't take me wrong. I am not promoting EK at all. But I think it is worth looking at the full picture and nt only on the shiny new aeroplanes on the one side or the bitching on the other side.
If you are American and love your unionised environment... you'll be at the wrong end here in the sand.

Hope that helps