PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2009, 14:40
fg32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOAC said
Indeed, Jetstream - (welcome to the fray!)
This is too much.
This thread has seen more than half a million hits.
At an average of 3 views per day per person for a week, that suggests that about 20,000 people are viewing.
Do you have any idea how many of us are exercising supreme RESTRAINT by NOT posting? So that there is some hope of the thread being useful and informative ?
Literally thousands of us are just as intelligent as even those that post sensibly, hundreds of us I am sure just as aviation-well-informed and knowledgeable. At least dozens of us equally knowledgeable even on the specifics.

We too can see inferences, postulate connections, wonder at possibilities.
But we DONT POST unless we actually have something to contribute.
Even if we come close to posting, we use the SEARCH facility and in almost every case discover the five or six times our question/idea has ALREADY BEEN DEALT WITH? - so we don't.

Unless I am mistaken, you are in your quoted post, BOAC, WELCOMING a PPL with one (non-contributory, already discussed about three times) post to his name to JOIN THE FRAY. And INVITING this person's thoughts on the main issues ?

Shall we ALL join the fray with all our little repetitious puny thoughts and observations ? Shall I ?

Don't you see, that would destroy the threads usefulness entirely ?

PLEASE, everyone try hard to discourage either yourself or others from posting unless you/they have a real, novel contribution to make.
The poor mods are run of their feet, and reading it all is almost more than i for one can manage. If you go on like this, the mods might just throw in the towel and then where will we be?

My suggestions

1 DONT POST unless you have something novel and useful to contribute either to facts or logic. Don't need certainties, though - probabilities are Ok - intelligently weighing probabilities is the name of the investigation game.
2 DONT POST without first conducting a skilled and intelligent search for prior relevant postings, even if you have read the lot, and CERTAINLY if you haven't.
3 DONT POST your feelings, hopes, fears, puzzlement.
4 DONT POST your comments and reactions to the style of other peoples posts. Posting to point out a useless post also just doubles the mods deleting work. It has been suggested that pressing the alert button is better.

In essence, please show RESPECT for the huge SILENT MAJORITY who are exercising excellent self-restraint. By trying to emulate us.

Now, of course, this post totally violates suggestion 4.
Please don't do the same by commenting on it. Let the mods just remove it without having to remove its children too.

Sorry, I have so many times refrained for posting my own puny little thoughts and conjectures and reactions - to have other people endlessly cluttering up my information source because they can't do the same finally made me FLIP !!!!!!

Count to ten before hitting "reply"? Pretty please ?