PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GB Rules - OK?
Thread: GB Rules - OK?
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2002, 20:54
CapedCrewsAider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Land ASAP:

Once again you miss the point completely. It is not just what you take home that costs BA, It is the total package that defines crew costs. This must include pension contributions training costs etc. If you are a cadet then you have already cost BA a lot of money.

Correct me if I am wrong but is not your pension non-contributary by the pilots. (You can pay AVCs by choice).

BA put 25% of salary into a pension fund for BA pilots.

GB put 10% into a pension fund for GB pilots. This represents part of the difference in costs to the respective employers.

Also is it not true that if you wish you may subject to seniority elect to go Longhaul. This increases your earning potential considerably. GB pilots will never have this opportunity.

You cannot examine basic pay points and assume that this is the only cost to the employer. This is a simplistic view.
So as you have trouble understanding the basics, I am sorry I have to keep repeating myself but I repeat:

BA pilots cost considerably more to employ than GB Airways pilots. This is fact. The Salaries may be not too far apart but your Hourly Flying rate, allowances and most importantly company pension contributions mean you cost BA in excess of £10,000 p.a. more than GB pays for its pilots. Multiply this by say 200 pilots and that is £2 million off the bottom line. Note; GB pilots have a low company contribution money purchase pension scheme.

The real argument is not whether or not you are cheaper or more expensive it is to do with how you run your business. I am a BALPA member, not management but I will not let you or BALPA put me out of a job because you feel I ought to be paid more than the market will bear. The GB BALPA C.C are possibly more horrified at your unknown proposals than even the GB management.

I am quite happy to go to the basic payscales on the BALPA website adjust them with Hourly Flying Rate, Allowances, and pension contributions, ignoring your childish comments (what is wrong with you, grow up) on divorce proceedings and publish them here.

With regards solidarity, have you the BA pilots ever protested at the alleged part played by BA in the downfall of Laker, Air Europe etc. and its effect on the pilots and their famillies. Not to mention the Virgin dirty tricks campaign. Do you really think any British European Ryanair, EasyJet/Go, KLMuk, AIR 2000, Britannia, JMC, Monarch, Excel, etc. etc. pilot would let you do what you want to do to GB pilots i.e. claim a god given right to their work (and possibly eventually put the companies out of business).

Or do you think that if BA ceased to exist they might relish the opportunities created.

Welcome to the nasty world of real business, survival of the fittest, and leanest.

We could approach the whole S'CRAP issue less devisively if you at BA were kind enough to let the GB C.C. in on your little secret and at least tell the GB pilots what it is! Or is that just too much solidarity for you to stomach.

If the model low cost airlines operated to in terms of costs were applied to BA it would be extremely profitable indeed. Mainly due to its past and present corporate culture, of which you Land ASAP are part, it never will.

The fact you do not want to publish comparative all inclusive pay scales is very revealing. I know the truth, I am prepared to publish them, are you? You are hung up on payscales this is a smallish part of the argument. This is the point: you do not have a divine right to our routes and our aircraft.

Land ASAP as I said please examine the GB network and tell us all which routes are yours by divine right.

Last edited by CapedCrewsAider; 18th May 2002 at 20:57.