PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2009, 22:33
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BHD;
As far as I am aware, all of these lugs are aft of the pressure bulkhead?
Yes, well aft. This tells us nothing of the condition of the pressure bulkhead but permits some thought only, towards the rest of the structure ahead of the VS to the area overhead the pressure bulkhead. Because we cannot know about the rest of the structure, nor does this tell us nothing about the DFDR/CVR location or that it remained fastened to the structure.

What is on my mind I will now confess, is, what is the nature of the forces capable of doing this kind of damage? I find it difficult to accept that any rudder deflection in and of itself, could do this. Such forces may and will be calculated as a matter of engineering sleuthing as can the mode of failure through the aforementioned tell-tale marks, bent/torn metal, etc so we can know at least in terms of "foot-pounds" what it takes to uproot the VS thus.
this would have created one hell of a hole.
Yes - an examination of this area either by drawings or physical inspection of other 330's may tell us what else "left" with the VS, pulled by piping/cabling/wiring/ancilliary structure etc - pure conjecture but at least "reading" the trace.