PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying for Lion Air
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2009, 21:27
topstar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jakarta

I’ve just spent the last 5 months in Jakarta training for an airline there.
There is a big pilot shortage, all the airlines are recruiting but there are no locals left.
They have all gone to India, Malaysia and Hong Kong for more money.
The company I was working for were taking on F/O who had not flown for 10 years.
Some of them were up to 300hrs of line training and still could not land the aircraft.
There was a big rumour around that Garuda Lionair and Batavia were asking the DGCA for permission to take on expats.
Life style in Jakarta is OK once you get used to it. I was staying in an apartment 30K from the airport, down town. It could take between 40mins and 1hr 30mins to get to the airport depending on which day and the time of day it was.
Very normal to be programmed for a 4 sector day, and after the first sector be handed a piece of paper saying that they had added an extra two sectors on, making 6 in all.
Just required a phone call to crewing saying ‘sorry but I have a dentist appointment later and can’t do the last sectors’
If anybody hears that they are able to take on expats please let me know. I have several friends who would love to go there for a year to build up some hours.