PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2009, 14:42
FlyBoyFryer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just my two pence...

I completed my CPL/ME/IR via the modular route. Although it was my only option given age and financial circumstances, I've never regretted it and throughly enjoyed every aspect. During my hour-building, I got to fly myself around Vegas, the Grand Canyon and other great places like San Francisco. My only regret was paying for a MCC course with CAE which purported to be a Ryanair pre-selction course! However, that's a long story I won't bore you with...

More relevantly, I entered the CTC Wings ATP scheme last year February whilst nearing completion of my IR. The first couple stages of selection happened quickly but I was forced to wait until January '09 before I got to participate in their AQC/JOC. Having passed that, I'm now in the hold pool, patiently awaiting the aviation industry to sort itself out as a result of demanding times.

My points are thus -
  1. My fATPL was achieved via the modular route so it's important to remember that CTC's Wings hold pool is not filled entirely with integrated trained pilots. We (i.e. modular) may be in the minority but we're still a sizeable number.
  2. Previous comments about no ideal time for training are entirely correct. I remember starting my training at the start of 2007 and being told throughout (Bristol GS, hour building, even the start of my CPL) that it was the best possible time to train. How quickly things change!
  3. CTC, whilst nowhere near perfect (I have my own personal queries about some of their communications and policies), are still one of the best providers/options for low hour pilots like myself. Yes, they are a private company which, like any other, has to be commercially successful and profitable. It suffers ups and downs like any other... but they are reputable, established and partnered with very good airlines. Personally, I'm happy to be working with them.
  4. Correct me if I'm wrong but our industry is still a growth industry, no? Pilot recruitment may have slowed down but overall, there's still a natural cycle of pilot retirements (age, loss of medical etc.) as well as new aircraft being bought which means there has to be new jobs, albeit in time and in limited quantities? Whilst the business may have become more cutthroat, I still believe it's possible to succeed given hard work, a diligent approach and making careful decisions!
As mentioned before in this thread, one simply has to work with what one has available... for me, that amounts to doing IT contract work, trying not to witter on about aircraft endlessly and gazing wistfully at any aircraft on approach or takeoff from Edinburgh airport. At least I get to keep my hand in, my ratings valid and my chin up.

My parting thought - a bit like the PPRUNE forum, CTC's Wings programme is an invaluable tool to both accomplished and aspiring pilots. It relies on positivity, patience and understanding exhibited by it's contributors. Let's not bash an organisation which has been instrumental in helping a very large number of pilots make their dream come true.

All the best,

FF
P.S. I've always been a glass "half-full" type of person - maybe it's a fault of mine?!

Last edited by FlyBoyFryer; 9th Jun 2009 at 15:37.