PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Attack On A Police Helicopter
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2009, 12:11
HeliCraig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok Budgie, I'll bite, but only a little!!

Try telling that to the friends and family of the people killed in the twin towers ... <clip> they knew it was coming and they still managed to destroy it
Which makes it entirely irrelevant. There is no suggestion that WMP knew this was coming at all - and I am sure if they did it would be a totally different outcome.

So if a 24hr operation air support unit helicopter parked in the grounds of an international airport, with a fence, armed police and a roving patrol. With no idea that it was going to happen. How on earth can you plan for what happend.
In the same way you plan for any other unexpected incidence. You take worst case and plan around it. However, I have worked in a clothes warehouse with, by the looks of it, a better fence. An alarm would go if it was cut, touched or inteferred with. That was for a warehouse full of jeans... and I saw it at work one night, and Warwickshire police felt a few collars as a result. Surely BHX should have similar?

I guess for all those people who want to moan that it was not protected then look at sids comment. You protect your car, or house, or mobile phone, wallet, forever. I won't tell you when I gonna steal it. But i bet you I could.....with ease. ( oh and i would'nt use a motorbike if that helps)
Absolutely, these are determined people and it may have been impossible to stop them. My point was that the general public expect the police to be the able to protect at least their own assets.... in hind sight this may be an unrealistic expectation.

You will never stop a really determined criminal, not with all the deterrents in the world, it just appears on the face of it to have been a little to easy. I hope, as Sid elludes to, it wasn't. WMP need to salvage the best of this situation and make sure the criminals are brought to justice and tought charges are brought!