PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2009, 07:49
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
One of the best documents I've read on this accident was the Computer Weekly report.

Some may say its biased (in that it tells the truth, concluding that the verdict is unsustainable because the burden of proof was not met) but anyone remotely connected with the MoD will recognise many of the author's source(s) were clearly within MoD.

I think it is time to update this report in the light of facts that have emerged in the last 9 years. (Facts that were available to the BoI etc but withheld, so do not constitute “new evidence” according to MoD). I'd particularly like to see a deeper discussion of the long list of MoD lies and deceit (Chapter 7). The only reason for lying is to hide the truth.

Also, the many subsequent lies should be added, as they help one see the wider picture. One of the real howlers is Adam Ingram's claim in 2005 that ZD576 was a new aircraft, so any accumulation of legacy problems from before October 1993 is a non-issue. (The point being that the conversion to Mk2 may just have been the straw which broke the camel’s back). Such a claim neatly avoids discussion of problems arising from one of the most common shortcuts taken on such programmes - unverified read across. This is always dangerous, especially when the thrust of the upgrade is introducing a new device such as FADEC, which is Safety Critical (although MoD deny this, saying the aircraft will always auto-rotate to a safe landing) and susceptible to Electro-Magnetic Interference.

Have a read of, for example, Def Stan 00-970 - Part 1/5, Section 6.10 - "EMC of Safety Critical Systems", and related chapters. If MoD do not regard FADEC as “Safety Critical”, one wonders if they applied Ch. 6.10? And then read the Master Airworthiness Reference. The two cannot be reconciled.

Sorry for the bit of techy stuff, but the manifestation of all this was the pilots’ lack of confidence in the Mk2. If the end-user isn’t confident in the product you’ve given him, you’ve failed. This failure MUST be a significant factor to consider in any subsequent investigation. That’s why the regs mandate it.