PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2009, 03:30
ChrisVJ

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts
I declare my amateur status, just another seeker after information.

I would think, in view of the importance of Pitot tubes, that they should be at least of different types so that a common failure did not cause them all to fail at the same time.

Are all the computers packed in the same bay/compartment? If so does not sound too redundant. (I do understand the electronically redundant thing, but physically safe? Chance in a million means sooner or later it will happens, at least that is my philosophy.)

That distance from land would they typically be using VHF or HF? (re HF aerial in vert. stabiliser.)

I understand three pitot tubes and three ADIRUs. Do A330s also have a steam ASI? If not I can imagine that all three pitot failure would be very difficult at high altitude, turbulence, even moderate, and in the dark.

Is/are AoA indicators part of the pitot tubes?

Are the Pitots electronic, ie, are there sensors in the pitot heads or are there still air pressure tubes back to the ADIRUs. Are the static heads duplicated for each pitot head, do alternate static cut in automatically, by electric switch or (like mine) by pulling a plug/ turning an air cock? (Or am I being naive assuming there is alternate static?)