PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Transgendered cabin crew?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2009, 21:57
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And........? Was there a point I missed to that?

Well it's interesting what Wiki coughs up (when you hit it on the back enough). I felt I should educate myself.
Gender identity disorder (GID) is the formal diagnosis used by psychologists and physicians to describe persons who experience significant gender dysphoria (discontent with the biological sex they were born with). It is a psychiatric classification and describes the attributes related to transsexuality, transgender identity, and transvestism. It is the diagnostic classification most commonly applied to transsexuals.
Other transgender people object to the classification of GID as a mental disorder on the grounds that there may be a physical cause, as suggested by recent studies about the brains of transsexual people. Many of them[who?] also point out that the treatment for this disorder consists primarily of physical modifications to bring the body into harmony with one's perception of mental (psychological, emotional) gender identity, rather than vice versa.
Have we a massive con here? In our haste to bend over backwards these days to let what was previously regarded as socially unacceptable behaviour by people now to be 'perfectly OK', maybe we are bending over backwards too far? Does it not boil down to 'what's your chromosomes, XX or XY?'. We're not listening to people who decide they really want to be another sex and then surgically altering them....because they want to change? There's a lot of horrors going on these days, one of them that same-sex couples can adopt children- something I am adamantly against, along with the Catholic Church and a darn sight more people than are willing to admit. If surgical procedures are being carried out against chromosome evidence, then it is criminal, especially if I am helping pay for it.

I am not convinced. I think it is largely psychological.
Essentially, the physical (somatic) and chromosomal gender is at odds with the mental gender.
If a man feels he's a woman trapped in a man's body, why change the body? Doesn't the head need repairing? I can't believe what I'm hearing here. I'm a rich person trapped in a normal person's body- can the Health Service make me rich, or perhaps better to get me to understand I can't automatically be what I feel I should be?

Our control of genetics will eventually give us the power of species realignment. So, if a disturbed person decides he's really a parrot trapped in a human body, Mac, are you going to start operating, or treating the disturbed condition? Why are you saying 'yes, we have the technology.....we can make you a woman!' when you should be saying 'look mate, you're a bloke!'? Why?

Last edited by Rainboe; 8th Jun 2009 at 22:21.