PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where are all the OAA pilots?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2009, 20:35
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally I think the most of the most vocal sellers of integrated never actually start training be it either method. Either generating the cash required stops them or other events preclude them starting eg failing the class 1. Or they are too thick to pass the very basic maths and science tests that OAA make them sit.

And the ones that do continue find a much more pleasant atmosphere on the OAA forums where there are no airline pilots for a start who were modular trained. And I am pretty certain that all internet on site is monitored and its not exactly hard to work out who is who if you have access to the proxy server.

And it takes pretty big balls to come back after completing the course and tell everyone that your 70-80k in debt and about to pay 35k for a RYR type rating and you regret your choice in training.

Nobody has ever said that the training isn't of a high standard so its up to the individual if that amount of cash was worth it to them and their circumstances. Some people couldn't manage the self discipline involved in doing modular training some need the structured learning that OAA provides.

I wouldn't think things are too pleasant for those half way through just now. All the usual suspect who they would have normally had an advantage with arn't hiring. Previous "sponsorship" deals have all fallen through with the guys not securing a job.

And edited to add there have been no OAA graduates or in fact any pilots taken on by either BA or flybe in the last 6 months. And the Netjets guys are being put on unpaid hold. RYR have started kicking FO's out after 500 hours on line so out of that list of 62 pilots employed this year so far only 13 of them have any job with stability. And no doudt there is 20-30 graduates per month getting released to the market.

Last edited by mad_jock; 8th Jun 2009 at 20:52.