PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2009, 16:36
Fly-by-Wife

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts
Here is an update from Tim Vasquez on the topic of "sudden upper tropospheric warming" (quoted in full with his permission):

Update / June 8, 2009:

It was brought to my attention (thanks Bill S.) that an episode of sudden upper tropospheric warming has been quantified in the peer-reviewed literature (see here, PDF). Though I had ruled out sudden warming in earlier updates, I had only been considering buoyant cumulonimbus ascent, in which case a 30-degree rise in the cloud would be unprecedented and indeed unsupportable by the theta-e profiles in the air mass feeding the storm, though if it did occur the vertical velocities and turbulence potential would be astronomical.

Though stratospheric "warm sinks" and "cold domes" have been a part of forecasting for years, this paper proposes a very intense, small-scale, convectively driven downdraft mechanism caused by the penetration of a mesoscale convective system into the stratosphere. The paper identifies a scale of about 75 km in width and an anomaly of 18 Celsius degrees. Any forced downward motion from the stratosphere like this will cause very strong adiabatic warming and associated drying, characterized by a profound lack of high cloud layers and low radiance on water vapor imagery (which by a stroke of luck is most sensitive to the upper troposphere). Since a mesoscale signature like this is well within the sampling capability of the GOES and METEOSAT platforms, I immediately reviewed the water vapor loop (SSEC). However it does not appear to show any anomalous subsident signatures. The area to the north of the MCS appears to show normal synoptic-scale subsidence within the trade wind inversion and the A330 is not believed to have made it this far north anyway.

I do have grave doubts a warm, mesoscale subsident area would be enough to significantly disrupt the A330 flight, and occurring in clear air there is a good chance any failure would be recoverable. I will however continue pondering this idea, will work this topic into the study, and will be glad to entertain other thoughts in this direction. The mystery continues.

-- Tim Vasquez
Weather Graphics / Norman, Oklahoma
from Air France 447 - AFR447 - A detailed meteorological analysis - Satellite and weather data

FBW