PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2009, 15:26
John Purdey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chinook

Airborne Aircrew. You post the possibility that .... "The pilots approach the waypoint. The lighthouse is in fog but the "somewhat similar looking fog station site" is visible and they make the mistake of identifying it as the lighthouse. Now, the land ahead is 300' higher than it would have been but, that day, the optical illusion shrouded the actual higher ground and cloud to the left would appear to be shrouding what would be the higher ground... The picture "fits" so the two pilots fly on into what appears to be clear, though grey, sky ahead with Strato-Granite to their left under the cloud - the picture both pilots are "expecting" to see".

I entirely agree that that this may well have been the case!!!*. But that such confusion was possible, WAS the negligence. In other words, they should have turned away before exposing themselves to such dangerous and ultimately fatal possibilities. (*In order to accommodate your thesis, I am of course ignoring for the moment the ten witnesses on the hillside who testified to a visibility of 10/ 25 meters).
I am sorry that someone who claims to be 'Airborne Aircrew' cannot see that.

As to the 'Burmuda Triangle' you mention, should we add that possibility to the some of thes others on this thread, eg distracting flies in the cockpit, a false IRA beacon etc? With all good wishes, JP

Last edited by John Purdey; 8th Jun 2009 at 16:06.