PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - support for instructors
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2009, 15:23
pablo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys

yes... I agree the important part is learning the lesson yourself after a negative situation.

About what you mention about taking over, there's a really nice method that Mr. J.S. Denker uses (I adopted it too, and brief my students about it):

Pilot-In-Command Decisionmaking [Ch. 21 of See How It Flies]

* Ideally, I don’t need to say anything. If we are facing an energy-management challenge, you can notice it (the sooner the better) and deal with it.
* If you don’t deal with it on your own, I’ll start asking questions, such as: “How’s your energy? Are we high and fast, or low and slow?”
* Then come more-explicit statements: “It looks like the angle from the horizon to the aim point is growing. If you don’t do something we’re going to overshoot the runway.”
* Then it escalates to an instruction: “Go around.”
* Then the instructions become more detailed: “Add power. Raise the nose. Start retracting the flaps.”
* Finally: “I’ve got it.”
21.2.3 I’ve Got It

If I say “I’ve got it”, that means I am taking command of the airplane and I don’t want any delay or any question about it. (We will discuss it afterward.)

Notice the important distinction:

* “How about I fly for a bit?” or “Would you like me to demonstrate that maneuver?” Those are simply questions, perhaps verging on suggestions. Those are negotiable.
* “I’ve got it.” This is not a suggestion. This is absolutely not negotiable. This is necessary to preserve safety.