PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2009, 15:06
rer47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAR map

In post 552, Flyinheavy posted a recent FAB Google Earth map of the debris area. Unfortunately this is not really a map, but a sketch of the area. The distances shown (79km, 318km, and 824km) cannot even be plotted since they don't meet at a single point. The reporting point TASIL is mislocated about 150 km NE of its actual location.

The 79 km and 318 km distances more or less plot at the location of a previously reported position where the first bodies evidently were recovered (3° 34.08'N, 30° 27.30'W - from the 6-6-09 FAB PowerPoint).

Yesterday FAB posted some photos of the search, among which is a shot of one of the maps used in the search. It is interesting to see a map used by the SAR teams - this shows that water droplets have smeared the ink, and evidently has signatures of the team members:

http://www.fab.mil.br/portal/voo447/...o_assinada.jpg

I have warped the northern portion so it is flat and referenced to latitude/longitude. On this I have plotted in white the aviation waypoints and the location of St. Peter and Paul Rocks. The actual location of TASIL matches that point on the SAR map fairly closely, but other points do not. In yellow I have plotted the 0214Z ACARS location (N3.5777 W30.3744) and the 6 June Recovery location where two bodies evidently were found (3° 34.08'N, 30° 27.30'W). Also plotted in yellow is the "AF447 ultima reporte" location taken from the 6 June FAB PowerPoint presentation.

Interestingly, the SAR map shows yet another location for the last position of AF447 - the red airplane symbol about 27 km WSW of the "AF447 ultima reporte" point. The remainder of the text on the SAR map is difficult to read, but most of the red marks are labeled "Debris." Possibly the red marks inside the northern shaded box are radar targets reported by the R-99 aircraft. The ACARS 0214Z and Recovery locations lie inside a reported Debris area.

-rer47