PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SARH to go
Thread: SARH to go
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2009, 09:05
pasptoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crab,

I was not questioning your knowledge of RAF SAR nor the up coming bids, mearly making comment as to your content in recent posts– which I think you have missed my points.

Yes, I agree that NVG ops and OC are perishable like IF if not used, that could also be used in the number of call outs a unit can expect – no? (Chivoner, Lossie, Gannet 300+, Wattisham, Lecon, Sumburgh 100+) I’m sure everyone has thrown away at least one job? (much to their professional annoyance.)

As for currency, I can only assume that the transition from Sea King to the new type will take several months for PVR/TX date, type ratings and IRs etc, before returning to operational SAR as a civilian, that will surely be a shortfall of OC.

With the new aircraft, and perceived problems associated with the S92, will most not need re-training, current practice or not? I believe that the RN was non-NVG until about 5-6 years ago for SAR ops – they seem to cope reasonably well with “limited experience”. Prior to that it was white light overland – not something I’d relish.

I understand that RN SAR pilots until recently were multi tour guys/girls with a solid aviation background at both sea and shore before going into the more “dedicated” SAR jobs. Small ship flights would be on SAR standby as soon as the ship left the harbour wall until it got back. No “seconds” just “first standby” 24/7!

From basic flight school I was told there was more than one way to skin a cat! Everyone can learn from everyone else, don’t close the training office door! I assume from your “user name” you have done an exchange tour? Did you learn how they did their business differently, did you try to persuade them the RAF way or did you both learn from each other? I would like to think the later would make everyone a richer more rounded person.

I agree that most winchmen/radops/winchops/aircrewmen/obs (paramedics) will require to come from a preset path, however the drivers could come from many areas providing they have the requisite skills. You could train some paramedics to be winchmen? Air Knight guys will be somewhat down the line from military SAR currency if they are successful, does that make them any less capable?

My points were that most SARF members would not necessarily be “required to leave” to join SARH, it would up to the individuals and their future plans/pension/promotion prospects. Why not go to the dessert, you signed up to defend the realm. (OK so that bit does suck, but that’s what you get paid for). As I have said there is more than one SAR pool to drink from. Finally NVG, I’m sure there will be sufficient training in place prior to going live in 2012 (or whenever) for those “civilians without” and “ex mil with past” NVG time.

Your post(s) is(are), after all, your views, I do not intend to insult and do understand the maze that is becoming SARH, merely commenting on your substance.

PAS