PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SARH to go
Thread: SARH to go
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2009, 08:24
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My new car.............

Crab
I recently bought a replacement for my Jag but I couldn't afford to retain the standards I had grown used to and had to settle for a Peugeot. Why? Because the financial situation, rising costs and higher taxes, meant I had to lower my expectations.

Everything you have said, true as it may be, centres on the huge assumption that we can afford the luxury represented by the current SARFORCE. Assume for one moment that we have run out of cash and we have to re-trech and do things to a lower standard than we currently achieve.

There are many nations who meet their treaty obligations with SAR Units with much lower levels of expertise and capability. Maybe the price we will pay when the cut-backs come - and come they will - will be a cut-price service.

Now here's the test. If I was your boss and I told you to do it for less where would you cut the costs? Your target is a 50% reduction in the cost of providing a national service. Will you halve the number of units or cut back on the capability?

By the way you will get a one-off grant to hire a PR company to 'snow' the public into thinking that nothing has really changed.

I hope I don't sound too cynical for I am deadly serious. If you truly know your business give me a plan that costs half what it does now.

G.