PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliding as alternative to Power
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2009, 07:44
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He did!

I agree with you about ridge soaring. Not only boring, but dangerous.

When meeting another aircraft head on, both should turn right ----- except the one that can't, because he would hit the ridge!

At Dunstable, the ridge is shared with all sorts of flying tablecloths, not to mention models. We occasionally share with sensible hang-gliders and a model flying group. I was towing up a K-13 once, using the ridge lift to assist the climb, saw a glider coming toward us, realised suddenly that it was a LOT CLOSER THAN I THOUGHT because it was a model! The chap on the ground with his radio control suffered a certain anxiety as well, because he put his craft into some really exciting manoevers to gain our attention......

For Ridge Soaring par excellence, visit Talgarth, in Wales, the Black Mountains Gliding Club. An extraordinary site, with ridges that work well in nearly every wind direction, you can stay up for hours and when you have been truly checked out and know the dangers, you can travel all over the Brecon Beacons, as well as contacting wave, in which case, both height and distance beckon.

And then, of course, there is Aboyne.