PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blood from a stone = minimal fuel
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2009, 03:14
Capn Bloggs

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
A380-800 Driver,
Bloggs- Just to clarify- Do you think that it is a good idea to have an alternate as mandatory irrespective of weather or not?
No I don't. It should be left up to the PIC to decide.

AQIS,
...well Capn Bloggs...I think common sense and airmanship would dictate that you should always carry fuel for another airfield (maybe except when you got two seperate runways)...that's at least the way I was brought up...no matter when I was flying a C206, Bongo, Dash8 or a widebody...those 200nm to Tindal won't make much of a difference to your fuel calculation...
The PIC should decide.
you think it's cool to run around on min fuel but one day it might bite you in the arse...no company will question you on 2-3 tonnes more gas... but the bosses will when you have to land on the Stuart Highway near that locator (can't remember its name) if a 767 for whatever reason can't get of the runway in Darwin...
Are telling me or asking me? I do not think it's cool to run around on min fuel bla bla bla. By all means ask for my opinion but don't give me a lecture when you don't even know how I operate. Oh, by the way, you'll be pleased to know that I am waging a war on this very issue in my company.

If a 767 can't get "OF" the runway in DRW I'll either land on the cross-strip or on the remaining bit of 11/29. Pretty simple really. next?

Renurpp,
no company will question you on 2-3 tonnes more gas
Shall I set Capt Eco Warrior onto him or shall you?

Zeebee,
I love it!