PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2009, 21:16
Gary Brown

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, if the AF 447 "hard turbulence" story originated with an AF press release, then it's useful to note that the press release says nothing about how AF got that information; i.e., nothing about getting a voice or text message direct from AF 447 itself.

Here's the link to all the AF press releases:

Communiqués de presse

As other have said, the only mention is in Release #2 (scroll down the page, as they are given in reverse order):

Air France a le regret d’annoncer la disparition du vol AF 447 effectuant la liaison Rio de Janeiro – Paris-Charles de Gaulle, arrivée prévue ce matin à 11h10 locales, comme vient de l’annoncer à la presse le Directeur général d’Air France, Pierre-Henri Gourgeon.

L’appareil de type Airbus A330-200, immatriculé F-GZCP, a quitté Rio le 31 mai à 19h03 heure locale (00h03 heure de Paris).

L’appareil a traversé une zone orageuse avec fortes turbulences à 2 heures du matin (heure universelle), soit 4h00 heure de Paris. Un message automatique a été reçu à 2h14 (4h14 heure de Paris) indiquant une panne de circuit électrique dans une zone éloignée de la côte.

L’ensemble des contrôles aériens civils brésilien, africain, espagnol et français ont tenté en vain d’établir le contact avec le vol AF447. Le contrôle aérien militaire français a essayé de détecter l’avion, sans succès.
The third para is:

"The aircraft crossed an area of storms with strong turbulence at 2.00am (universal), or 4.00am Paris time. An automatic message was received at 2.14 am (4.14am Paris) indicating a failure of an electrical system in an area far off the coast."

AGB

[later note: AF have an English-language version of their Press Releases:

Press Releases

The translation above was mine. The official one is:

The aircraft hit a zone of stormy weather with strong turbulence at 2am this morning (universal time), i.e. 4am in Paris. An automatic message was received from the aircraft at 2:14am (4 :14am in Paris) indicating a failure in the electric circuit a long way from the coast.
]

Last edited by Gary Brown; 8th Jun 2009 at 13:37. Reason: Added link etc to official AF English-language site]