PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2009, 19:55
hautemude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wes Wall

I cannot recall in all my years of flying that I ever sent an advisory (HF) to our flight following re turbulence.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the above quote re "our flight".

I agree that sending such a message by HF would probably achieve little.

However during my 40+ yrs of flying, I certainly transmitted such information on 2 or 3 occasions on 126.9 or 123.45 or the controlling VHF frequency after what I considered to have been a really good shaking. I can't remember now whether I did so during the shaking but I have a vague memory of doing so on at least one occasion. It's called being professional I think.

While I'm here I think it should be pointed out to the non professionals who contribute, that the ITCZ is always there just like it is always over Africa or elsewhere. It's latitude varies with the season, sometimes it's a pussy, sometimes a tiger. Professional pilots KNOW about it, they are taught route climatology as kids in flying school or I certainly was. If you work long haul for a "proper" airline like AF, I would be astonished if the dangers were not driven home during route training. In my case I have no recollection of ever having to divert more than 40 miles or so off track when flying the South Atlantic. In my experience the storm systems over the USA during the summer could be infinitely more severe.