PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Charles Lindbergh: Neil Armstrong:
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2002, 05:52
Prince of Dzun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charles Lindbergh: Neil Armstrong:

Shortly after the first moon landing the prestigious American aviation group called the Quiet Birdmen hosted a dinner at which the guests of honour were Charles Lindbergh and Neil Armstrong. A good friend of mine attended this dinner and he told me that when Charles Lindbergh was introduced the applause was louder and longer than the applause for Neil Armstrong. I find this rather strange and have often wondered about the reason. Lindbergh's flight across the Atlantic was momentous with his only companions being danger and loneliness but he was in a known environment even if it was hostile. Armstrong went into an area that was unknown, he was surrounded by danger and even more hostility and he knew only too well that it could so easily go wrong. The degree of skill, flying ability and performance under pressure seems equal but it is the " unknown " element that gives Neil Armstrong my applause. However, the assembled dignitaries thought otherwise and one must ask why. Perhaps it was because they ( the dignitaries ) grew up with Charles Lindbergh whereas Neil Armstrong was a new arrival. Certainly this poses a vexing question. Perhaps the best and most honourable answer would be to say there was nothing between either man.
Recently I became involved in a most spirited discussion with a group of aviation friends and this matter was debated at great length. There were most definite views expressed on which of these historical events ranked highest. The debate ended with a suggestion to " put it on Pprune and lets see what the world thinks. "

Prince of Dzun