PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The sad story of GA in Sri Lanka
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2009, 11:11
moderate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The aviators of Sri Lanka should be thankful for that discourse. It may be a bit too steep for todays' bunch to grapple with (you know what I mean?), nevertheless the history lesson was important.

However I would like to differ on some of the views stated;

SLAF matters

1. In the opinion of this writer, the author of that valued discourse seems to be somewhat biased of the SLAF and its doings. Sure, each and every action of theirs had not been to the liking of some (thank goodness for that orelse the LTTE would have been a happy bunch even today). You claim that ".....for the SLAF, the only safe aircraft is the one on ground" and then go on to say that the SLAF couldn't get the Tiger aircraft for a long time (something to that effect). I think the answer to the former lies with the second comment! I think we are all aware by now that the SLAF was working in the air, minus that all important 'Detect/ Intercept' capability. So it is then obvious that no detection can be made from the air (it was a case of looking for a phantom - and a tiny one at that).

2. DGCA matters

As you had quite rightly said, the CAA is run by non flyers. It has always been that and it's time to change. Most such authorities (if not all) have flyers who would understand the subject better. A whole bunch of ATC guys have made it their habitat these days. Short term thinking by the politicians had allowed square pegs in round holes. As we cringe on the killing of civil aviation in this country, the fault may be lying there. One again, the SLAF cannot be blamed for taking action to keep all other aircraft on ground at a time when the threat was great. That was the SLAF Commanders responsibility (like the Navy had to restrict ships and boats). A little imagination (even before 9/11) could give a Pilot many options had his intentions been less than honorable!

But I certainly would like to thank you for that piece of information on certain aspects of aviation history in SL. Let's hope that we could use todays momentum - gained after winning the war - by helping the administrators to think differently in AIR MATTERS too.

All aviators in Sri Lanka and the Country too needs some fresh thinking along with some bold action to resuscitate this dying industry.