PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2009, 10:42
dougydog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weather Avoidance (767-757 Pilot)

1. Have the radar turned on- sounds wierd but I`ve seen a few folk fly along with terrain on instead of weather.

2. Deviate early enough(90% of the time the CBs are above you in the tropics especially)then you don`t tend to increase the track miles by much and ergo you don`t burn too much extra fuel either....So fuel shouldn`t be an issue. If you take the gamble to `look` at the storm first by flying up to it you will have more track miles to cover to deviate around it...

3. Often the return on the weather radar will `disappear` the nearer you get to the CB..Are you above it, or not? Or is your weather radar not picking up the ice near the top of the cell. You have to play with the tilt...On really dark, moonless nights I remember the distance from the cell to the next waypoint and if I deviate I know not to turn back until I`m well inside that distance incase the return does the `disappearing act`.

Questions; That last acars msg....cabin vertical speed...Does it mean the cabin is going to `over take` the outside ie airplane in a dive or does it mean decompression??

...Interesting that "male bodies" have been found....Could they have fallen out of a breakking up aeroplane or does it mean that the impact was less severe??

Some great discussion on here keep it up folks!!

Last edited by dougydog; 7th Jun 2009 at 12:31.