PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Faa Ir
Thread: Faa Ir
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2009, 08:04
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd say "good luck to them".

It is admirable to motivate such a number of people, following many years in which the UK IR issue numbers have been barely above single figures a year.

I just think that one should be doing this stuff because one has a clear focus on flying IFR around Europe and already has the budget worked out for the purchase of a suitable long distance high altitude capable aircraft (£100k plus), not because one got a few hundred quid discount on the ground school

Myself, I've had over 3 years of super trips, following 3 years of flying dodgy "VFR" to much the same places and getting all kinds of crap on the way. I expect to have a good 3 more years before anything changes; that is 6 years of great flying. After that, I am guaranteed all this anywhere outside EASA-land (IOW most of the world) for the rest of my valid-medical life. Not a bad deal really. If EASA screw us FAA pilots, we will have to go out and buy some more silly papers.....

Mind you, IFR doesn't eliminate crap. It merely eliminates most of the VFR crap one gets when airborne. Loads of crap remains on the ground. It's just a different kind of crap; for the most part a kind of crap which can be dealt with using standardised methods. In long distance VFR flight, you get all kinds of unexpected crap when in the air.