PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High Temp operations - Considerations
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2009, 22:21
VinRouge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I operate in some pretty hot conditions (ISA +40 celcius enough for you?)

Even with FADEC, MGT/EGT overtemp can be an issue, especially if you are operating close to the aircraft max operating envelope.

Overcome typically by setting bleeds off and if things get really tough (queue sucking of teeth) setting less than T/O power on the roll.

Bearing in mind we were operating at far less than Perf A at the time, in a warzone, in an aircraft that could get airbourne in 1/2 the runway available. (TODR < 0.5 TORA) Not reccommended I agree, but lives depended on it. And I didnt quite fancy sticking around where we were.

Brake temps and in particular cooling times can become an issue at these temps, not to mention avionics overheating (BIG problem, probably our biggest).

Just remember to leave the oil cooler flaps in Auto if you have them, unlike one of our pilots, in an aircraft that got airbourne and nearly necessitated 4X engine changes! (HIGH oil temps) Just got away with that one by 2 degrees!

DONT operate outside your aircraft limits, even if you really need to go flying (unless you have TP at the end of your name).