PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russian Overflights by RAF Crews during the "Cold War"
Old 6th Jun 2009, 17:46
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tonytech2
I have always wondered, are there any records of similar overflights by Russian aircraft across the UK, Canada or USA? I don't mean the off-shore flights near coastlines, etc and possible short penetrations of Alaska or Canada but the bold, deep ones as mentioned above..
Tony, I am not aware of any publication covering UK. I am aware however of deviating 'civil' aircraft straying off airways and their potential for reconnaisance.

I was intrigued at a nuclear weapons storage site that there was a number of small buildings with specially shaped flat roofs. I was told that this was to cast a shadow like a tree as the presence of such small buildings near the main bunkers would give a clue as to how the nuclear weapons worked.

As these buildings were built in the 50s I think we can conclude that 'yes they did, and we knew it.'