PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying IMC out of CAS now dangerous?
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2009, 12:04
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuji, will you make use any of the ideas I've suggested that you can do right now to make your flying safer?
Yes, of course. This issue was debated a while ago and I learnt a lot about the behaviour of gliders. 130.4 is always on box 2, and I find it relatively easy to monitor box 2 as I am accustom to working the other frequencies on box 1. Not many pilots like doing it that way I might add.

Yes, I always avoid gliding sites.

I am not about to buy a FLARM unless you convince me most gliders have FLARM fitted - in reality I gather very few do.

I am not about to avoid clouds - and this suggestion of yours is just daft. That said I would rather stay out of clouds, and one of the reasons is I cant trust you lot not to be inside one.

The BGA can write to TRIG (or whoever or indeed all transponder makers) but I doubt that anything suitable will be forthcoming for some time to come. In the meantime, things are what they are. You might as well do what you can now to reduce your risks.
Much of the time I have a ballistic chute, I have TAS, I have mode S, I always try and get a traffic service if anything is remotely on offer, so my conscious is clear if I run into one of you lot, and with any luck my parachute (and perhaps yours) might save the day.

Sadly my perception is it is you lot that arent prepared to do anything - the BRG could but I doubt are words that ring rather hollow with me.

You could require all gliders to be fitted with PCAS - but I doubt you will.

With regret, it is rare to see such complacency and such a lack of willingness to attempt to improve the situation.

I rather hope your activities are restricted by legislation - frankly the only difference it will make to me is to make IFR flying safer, I dont mind being restricted to airways at all if it comes to that, and I dont mind cloud flying being closed if the attitude of those that do is so irresponsible.

I was a supporter of those that campaigned against the general carriage of transponders. I find that I was probably mistaken and swayed by a bunch of people who are more concerned with protecting their rights than enhancing the safety of everyone that uses the air space. I suspect it is your complaceny that will ultimately lead to a restriction of the freedoms we should all be trying to preserve.

Anyway nuff said, I cant add anything more.

Please dont misunderstand me, love gliding, love to see gliders up, even had a couple of flights myself, the last thing I would wish is to see gliding restricted BUT if you cant behave as responsibly as the rest of us, you only have yourselves to blame.