PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mustangs at Maralinga
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2009, 09:19
PLovett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now to get back to the "formating Mustang". The way I remember it (being told by the pilot of the aircraft and yes, I can swear that he was the owner of not one but two of them) was that it was in Western Queensland.

The owner of the beastie was a well known Sydney doctor, who happened to own properties in NSW and Q'ld. At the time of the formation he had at least one of the aircraft in Q'ld and used to do the occasional flight, as one would.

I cannot now remember the precise details but he either heard the DCA F27 on the radio and decided to formate or he had come down through cloud and saw the aircraft and decided to formate. Whatever, he soon vanished when the crew of the F27 appeared to get upset.

I believe that particular aircraft was the one that Donald Busch (sp?) died in when he spun it in at the opening of an aerodrome in Victoria.

DCA were well aware of the presence of both Mustangs when they visited the doctor's NSW property to conduct a maintenance test on a LAME who was getting checked out on the doctor's other aircraft, a brace of Ryans'. He also owned a Lockheed 10 or 12, I can't remember which now. The engineer was asked what was in the other shed (there being two quite large sheds in this particular paddock) to be told that it was only a hay shed. The DCA examiners scoffed and mentioned that was where the Mustangs were kept.

When I met the gentleman the second aircraft was being sold but I cannot remember now who bought the thing. This was in 1972.

Last edited by PLovett; 17th Aug 2011 at 09:22. Reason: To correct a mistake,