PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2009, 08:50
pool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe It is time for Airbus to reconsider the fact that when redundancies are lost, only then, Pilots will be in dire need for protections to kick in
Please NO!
Redundancies are here to exclude failures. Protections must be able to differentiate good from bad, thus rely on redundancies!!!!!
Don't forget: One redundancy is the pilot. If you want some higher up protection to set in when some technical redundancy fails, you would effectively take the pilot out of the eqation. This happened with the QF flight, as the failed ADIRU told the aircraft to be too high and ordered descent, the pilots realised this was wrong, switched off the AP and wanted to pull just to have the holy FBW to deny this input!
For such cases the new instructions by Airbus now instructs pilots to go by a AIC circular checklist and start to disable some computers with switches on the overhead panel. This is finally realising that only a non FBW partner in redundancies can remedy the situation. All this during a highly surprising and unexpected manoever. Not enirely realistic any pilot would admit.
Now some people are shouting for even more, new protections when the initial ones fail.

All this recalls in me Goethe's Sorcerer's Apprentice when he finally concludes:

"From the spirits that I called Sir, deliver me!"